To comply with the CDC’s “social distancing” recommendation, I offer HIPAA-compliant online therapy to accommodate all individuals and couples needs.
Couples & Marriage Counseling
Common problems brought to Marriage Counseling. Do these sound familiar?
- Having the same fight over and over with no real resolution
- Not trusting your significant other
- Not feeling appreciated, heard, or valued
- Even the tiniest things spark an argument
- You don’t argue anymore. You are like “ships passing in the night”
- You’ve stopped having sex because you are so hurt and angry
- Believing that marriage counseling can’t help your “deep problems”
- You feel stuck. You ask yourself, “Should I stay or go?”
- Nothing you do seems to help your relationship feel safe, loving, and secure
If you answered YES to any of the above questions then, marriage counseling in Louisville, KY can help. Relationships can be difficult to navigate, especially when you don’t have the tools to cope. Your relationship doesn’t have to stay this way. You don’t have to struggle alone.
Marriage Counseling / Couples Counseling Can Help
Using a foundation of the Gottman Method couples therapy (a scientifically-based proven approach for strengthening and saving relationships), I can help you learn how to manage these conflicts, generate understanding and respect, keep disagreements calm, rebuild trust, and increase your closeness.
“A dirty little secret in the therapy field is that marriage counseling may be the hardest form of therapy, and most therapists are not good at it.” – Dr. William Doherty
Only a small minority of therapists that conduct marriage counseling have received any education or training in working with couples. The therapy I use for couples counseling is based on the research of John Gottman, Ph.D., who studied over 3,000 couples for 40+ years and demonstrated not only what made relationships fail but also what made for long-lasting and happy relationships. The Gottman Method is evidence-based and unravels the mystery of how relationships work so couples can relate differently with each other to build a loving, strong, and lasting marriage. Many couples therapists simply teach basic communication skills or problem-solving techniques. The Gottman Method for marriage counseling is different. It can help rescue you from an impending divorce.
What I love about the Gottman Method is that the skills being taught are easy to apply and understand. I have completed Level 1 training in the Gottman Method couples therapy. I’ll begin by giving you a comprehensive assessment. The assessment of your core problems and other personal characteristics acts as a map for our work together and helps determine which interventions would be most helpful for your marriage/relationship.
Using Gottman marriage counseling techniques helps couples to practice new ways of communicating. It is a clear and reliable way to learn how to fight fair, resolve long-standing conflicts, and focus on reconnecting with fun, intimacy, and all the great stuff that brought you together.
As a psychologist who specializes in marriage counseling, I use a direct approach that challenges you to work towards your best self to improve your marriage or romantic relationship. You will learn the knowledge and skills in session and then, you will bring them home to sustain long lasting improvements in your marriage.
Additionally, I utilize Integrative Behavioral Couple Therapy (IBCT) for couples. The overwhelming majority of couples who enter IBCT (and stick with it) find significant improvements. Even more exciting is that with this type of counseling, couples continue to improve long after finishing therapy. Why? Because it doesn’t only target your “problems” – it targets your patterns. It focuses in on the WAY you look at issues and each other. Ultimately, you end up tackling old and new problems in a more improved and effective manner.
How Marriage/Couples Therapy can Help You:
Overall, during couples counseling, I seek to address barriers that may be hindering your marital/relationship satisfaction and offer guidance in any of the following areas:
- Strengthening positive interactions
- Turn toward each other to get your needs met
- Learn communication skills and conflict management and resolution skills
- Recover from infidelity and pornography use
- Build friendship
- Reestablish lost intimacy, both emotionally and sexually
- Increase fondness and admiration for each other
- Heal and restore trust from past hurts or betrayals
- Clear the way to know and support each other’s hopes and dreams for the future
- Specific concerns such as sexual difficulties, betrayal and broken trust, finances, and parenting conflicts
- Even couples with “normal” levels of conflict can benefit from couples therapy
- Relationship check-ups (a check-up for your relationship that helps small issues, stay small issues)
As a marriage counselor, I enjoy walking alongside my couples and challenging them to make decisions that will improve the relationship for a lifetime. With couples counseling, you have an objective third party in the room, which can cause things to really change.
According to couples counseling research, the average couple waits 6 years before entering counseling! Often times, this means that the relationship has been operating under a lot of stress, so it can take some time to work through and get back to the relationship we desire. Taking the first step indicates there is hope and things can be turned around for you and your spouse/significant other. As a marriage counselor in Louisville, KY, I’ll guide you through the hard work to implement the changes needed to restore your relationship.
Christian Marriage Counseling
Many of the couples I work with desire to have their Christian faith integrated into Marriage Counseling. For those couples, I can assist you in building a Christ-centered marriage. For more information, see my page about Christian Counseling. If you are ready to take the leap and fireproof your marriage then feel free to set up a Christian Marriage Counseling session with me in Louisville, KY now.